My life in the Burbs... Domesticity at its finest :)

My life in the Burbs... Domesticity at its finest :)

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Get your waddle on...









So, I think I'm developing a waddle. Yuck. My work mates say it's in my head, but I feel a subtle swaying motion while walking. Very attractive... One of the joys :)

Saturday, February 11th:
Neil and I are off into town to have a non-date. Neil refuses to accept that married couples go on dates. He says, 'We're just going for a night out,' however, I prefer the much more romantic, make me actually blow dry my hair for the first time in weeks, date. :)
Neil is a clever little thing... one of his Christmas presents to me was this date/night out. Dinner at the Criterion restaurant in Piccadilly, which is over 135 years old, followed by the theatre, '39 Steps'. I didn't pick up on it at the time, but hindsight is 20/20. He's killed two birds with one stone here. Christmas present and Valentine's Date all tied into one gift. Serious, genius,.. and I didn't even see it coming. All the jokes aside, I am very excited about the whole affair :)

And the night did not disappoint! We have not been into town since before Christmas and I felt like a little kid as we were driving in! There is a point in the road, about half way into town, were the road goes up a little hill and you have a wonderful view of the cityscape. On a clear day you can see the wheel, the gherkin and other London landmarks. Last night was a beautiful night. Clear and fresh. There's something about the city,... I always get the same buzz before a night out :) I love it!

We arrived at our first stop, the Stephen Friedman gallery on Old Burlington Street. I had read about this American artist's, Jennifer Rubell, exhibition entitled, 'Engagement'. As you can see from the photos, she has made a life-size wax portrait of Prince William, fully equipped with Kate Middleton's engagement ring. Even though my actual husband was taking the photo, I got to pretend, just for that second, that I was a princess.
If you want to read more about this work, http://www.stephenfriedman.com/#/exhibitions.

We walked around Piccadilly for awhile before dinner. Walked into Fortnum & Mason, which is amazing!! I found myself in the little person section, oouuuing and ahhhing :) Seriously, for our wallet's sake, we better have a boy! HA! We also found a little side alley strip of shops, selling gorgeous antique jewelry, furs, cashmere, basically anything luxe! However, I don't know if you can pick her out from the photo, but I didn't realize until looking at the photos, that I had been shopping with Susan Boyle. It's probably not her, but it sure does look like it! Hehe! It is picture with me in the shopping alley.

Dinner at the Criterion restaurant was phenomenal! The decor made me feel like I was on the Titanic! Very ornate, with mosaic tile ceilings, marble walls and beautiful mirrors... it was magical!
'39 Steps' was rated as London's best comedy... and it was funny, but Neil and I should have done our homework... much of the humor was made from references to Alfred Hitchcock films, which Neil and I are not that familiar (I know, shame on us), so a couple of times, when the audience was dying laughing, we just kinda looked at each other and shrugged! Hehe! But, all in all, it was such a great night out/DATE NIGHT :)

Sunday, February 13th:
Coffee catch up date with Amy in the morning, very lovely. Followed by the usual Sunday scene... Neil insisting we watch soccer all day, and by watching that means me reading a book and Neil sleeping on the sofa. It's amazing though, because I've tried changing the channel a million times, and it's like he has a radar or something.... men.

1 comment:

  1. SWEEET!
    I look forward to reading more...
    I like the NON-date idea! (NOT)... why do men change after marriage? Because thats the ONLY change they are willing to make... The irreversible change.... Bah!
    Good luck my lovely!
    xxxx
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete